worthing history


How Times Have Changed

RAILWAY CROSSING: When Shoreham’s Bungalow Town was being created in the early part of the 20th century, many of its part-time holiday residents lived in converted railway carriages, How the carriages got there is a mystery no longer. They were towed across the River Adur at low tide on a horse-drawn cart normally used for transporting timber.


COUNTRY LIFE: Goring Road, before it was widened to become today’s busy thoroughfare. The
photographer was facing east when he took this view. What appeared then as a country lane, on the near left, has become today’s Shaftesbury Avenue.

STREET SCENE: These thatched shops in Littlehampton High Street were a feature of the town in the Victorian years. Built in the 1780s, they survived for more than a century.

DOWN THE PUB: An annual excursion to a country pub in one of the earliestwindowless motor charabancs was a popular outing for local workmen in the years just prior to World War 1.
It must also have been a hair-raising experience on the way home!

BAND AID: Worthing seafront in 1925 when the erection of Worthing’s last bandstand was underway.
It replaced the elegant “bird cage” iron bandstand, which had dominated the seafront from 1897. Declining popularity of open-air band concerts after World War Two led to it being converted into an outdoor swimming pool, although, without heated water, it was a failure. Smarts took over the building in 1988 and turned it into an amusement centre.


ROYAL APPROVAL: Ocean Drive, south Ferring, in the 1930s, when the Prince of Wales (who was to become King Edward VIII briefly, before abdicating to marry American divorcee Wallis Simpson) was a regular visitor to the village with one or other of his previous mistresses. Ferring then mainly consisted of summer holiday homes. As the notice in the foreground denotes, the seafront Blue Bird Café was already a local institution.

LYON’s SHARE: Ilex Way, Goring, during the 1930s. Originally gated at each end, the spectacular avenue of Holm oaks was laid out by David Lyon, after he had Goring Hall built in 1840. Fortunately, it is still there today, though its appearance has changed considerably over the years.